Moorland Sixth Form
Moorland School believes in education through teaching and not by lectures and constant note-taking. I believe in an environment where students have structured guided learning, and where they feel fully supported both academically and pastorally by our teachers.
This being said, we are prepared and extremely experienced in placing appropriate ‘parental’ pressures onto our young minds to ensure that they progress through their curriculum, meet deadlines, self-study and ultimately gain sufficient grades to continue onto further academic studies, should this be their chosen path.
Moorland has a strong sense of community, offering our students warmth from the moment that they begin their studies due to the relatively small year sizes, everyone becomes well acquainted with each other and friendships are quickly and confidently formed.
Tailored enhancement programmes and a range of enrichment opportunities are offered to our Sixth Form Students and we would strongly encourage you to take full advantage of these opportunities.
Dr DEBORAH BOOTLE
We also offer a one year ‘A’ level entry programme for those students who need to acquire a higher understanding, working knowledge and entry level of the English Language. This helps to improve IELTS scores for acceptance into further studies, and in the support of this Moorland School employs dedicated EFL teachers to support this programme of study.
We also expect students to participate in accepting wider responsibilities within the school, working with staff and younger students as positive and inspiring role models.
Relevant work experience can also be arranged through the school to support academic interests, whilst improving social and emotional confidences, and the school formally requests that their Sixth Form students present themselves throughout the school day professionally by wearing smart business attire.
Our greatest motivation as a staff team has always been in creating aspirations and challenges through dynamic and responsive teaching and by offering strong curriculum choices which meets the needs and demands of our students.
Dr Deborah Bootle
Head of Sixth Form
Why Choose Moorland Sixth?
Why Choose Moorland Sixth?
Our academic excellence places Moorland School as one of the most successful schools within the UK.
- A recently built multi-million-pound boutique style living accommodation and classroom facility.
- Sky television and Wi-Fi.
- Access controlled doors for extra security.
- Separate and joint girls/boys common areas with drink-making facilities.
- Free gym membership.
- Daily transport arranged into town.
- A two-minute walk into the market town of Clitheroe, home of quaint coffee houses, stylish shops and restaurants.
- Treated as adults, a place where ideas are valued and respected.
- No official uniform, all students wear smart dark business suits.
Students will be expected to be punctual to all lessons and attendance will be strictly observed. Unlike other Colleges and Sixth Forms, all study time will be structured, and directed by a professional teacher.
The Moorland International Academies
Aims – Becoming Responsible Adults with Style
We serve the community and work with parents to help all students grow into mature, responsible adults and good citizens.
As partners in learning we should:
- Nurture a love of learning; foster innovation and creativity in enquiring minds within a ‘family’ atmosphere of care, mutual trust and respect.
- Develop a Sixth Form which is a place where all enjoy the opportunity to develop, through mutual support and respect, to become confident, responsible, enterprising, independent life- long learners and good citizens.
- Promote a safe learning environment, both physically and emotionally.
- Be a recognised centre of excellence for the academic, cultural, personal and social development of all students.
- Expect high standards of understanding and respect for the religious and moral values of the students own and other cultures.
- Maintain and develop a dynamic and motivated staff, involved in their own professional development.
- Promote a collegiate approach to learning through our partnerships with local colleges.
- Become a Sixth Form for the future equipped to prepare our students for the rapidly changing needs of the work place and life in general.
We aim to ensure that all students achieve their full potential. Progress is constantly monitored and students work closely with their subject teachers, as well as a tutor who is assigned to a small group of students to provide additional pastoral support. Working together, they will provide you with the best opportunities to fulfil your potential and advise you how to approach your studies in the most appropriate way to you. We are a very open and friendly sixth form where everyone knows everyone else. There is always someone around to offer you support.
Guidance about future career choices is at the heart of the personal developed curriculum, with additional support being offered by our staff team to ensure that students select the correct universities and programmes of further study.
The Student Council
The Student Council looks forward to you joining the Sixth Form. All members of the Council work on your behalf as students, to ensure that you have a voice and are able to use your ideas to help you make the most of your time at Moorland Sixth Form.
The social life at Moorland Sixth Form is an important part of the student experience and the Moorland Student Council arranges many social events.
At Moorland Sixth Form we want to listen to the ‘voice’ of all our students as your views help to shape and improve Sixth Form life. It is highly important that our students feel empowered and confident enough to inform the school in regards to their perceptions of the quality of teaching and learning, additional support, accommodation, food and general facilities that are being provided, indeed all students take part in course forums which give you the opportunity to give your opinion on the courses you are taking. You will also take part in surveys about your overall Sixth Form experience.
Every tutor group votes for its own representative on the Student Council, with the Student Council Executive being elected by the whole student body. Student representatives take part on an equal standing with Moorland School staff on committees such as Equality and Diversity, Health and Safety, and IT.
Life at Moorland International Boarding School