Moorland Junior School
At Moorland Juniors, we are passionate about recognising each child’s strengths and supporting them so that they are able to reach their full potential. Our children feel safe and secure in their school environment, meaning that they are eager to learn with our dedicated teaching team.
We provide individualised learning for each child through our tailored curriculum, based on children’s interests and in line with the national framework.
Moorland Juniors endeavour to ensure all pupils within our care see school not only as a place to learn but also as a place to make life long memories with friendships that will last a life time. For example, a snow day will most definitely be a snow day and the children will be wrapped up warm, having fun in the snow followed by hot chocolate and a movie indoors.
We make the most of our picturesque surroundings and take as much of our learning outdoors as possible, this is fully evident in our Forest School area and our new outdoor classroom.
Our approachable and easy going staff team create the perfect environment for all parents and children to feel valued members of our Moorland Family.
“The school provides a haven in which the consistency of the classroom behaviour can be assured, and which unimpeded they can test the school’s motto that labor omnia vincit; work conquers all.
Ensuring your child comes home from school happy
Moorland Junior School’s overarching aim is to ensure all children return home from school, on each and every day, feeling happy.
We believe happiness is the key to success. Furthermore, we believe a number of key principles must be in place within our school setting, in order for a child to achieve true happiness.
These principles include;
- A safe and secure learning environment.
- Clear, fair and consistent boundaries and expectations.
- Praise and positivity.
- The confidence in being able to make and learn from mistakes.
- Care and understanding.
- Love, laughter and friendship.
Moorland is a small, family school. The staff team teach the children to love, respect and forgive. This results in our children building the foundations for firm friendships, that will last a lifetime.
The unique size of our Junior School enables the staff team to understand and support each individual child in their pastoral growth and development. This being; making positive choices, building their self-confidences, understanding and managing their feelings and developing their independence.
Honesty – Respect – Decency
British values run through the heart of all that we do. At Moorland School, pupils are taught and supported in demonstrating the value and importance of honesty, respect and decency, as we aim to produce well-rounded, responsible and hard-working individuals.
Children are taught that honesty is the best policy. Although young children do struggle to be entirely truthful, we support children in overcoming this obstacle by listening and understanding and being fair and reasonable. In having this approach, our children feel supported, even when their actions have been wrong, and in time, they develop the quality of honesty and integrity.
Throughout all aspects of our Junior School life children are encouraged to share their own thoughts, feelings and preferences, whilst others are taught to be respectful, even if they do not necessarily share the same viewpoint. We teach our children to be open-minded, considerate and accepting. An attitude of healthy mutual respect is evident throughout our Junior School.
To ensure every child achieves their true potential
Every child is an individual, and as such, learning is their own unique and personal journey. Moorland Junior School believe in tailoring the Curriculum around each individual child.
Our teaching team have a responsibility to identify the type of learner a child is, recognise and extend children’s individual strengths and talents and act and intervene upon areas requiring support and improvement.
Once we have this complete understanding of every child, lesson plans, resources and teaching methods for each subject area can be tailored, to ensure all children, confidently achieve the learning objective of every lesson.
The Junior team believe, each child will adopt a life-long love of learning if the Curriculum is tailored around their individual academic needs whilst ensuring it is creative and challenging yet still achievable. By empowering every child to achieve their own potential they will grow into confident adults ready to shape their own and others’ futures.
Challenge and Inspire to Flourish
We will INSPIRE every child to:
- To develop a life-long love of learning, through providing an exciting, ever-evolving curriculum which meets their individual needs and interests.
- Through the provision of a welcoming and positive school environment which is conducive to high-quality learning.
- To enable children to explore and be imaginative, creative thinkers.
- By caring for and nurturing each individual child, so that they become reflective, thoughtful and respectful individuals.
- By modelling desirable behaviour, conduct and personal presentation at all times and demonstrating a positive approach towards learning and each other.
We will CHALLENGE every child:
- By encouraging an active, inquisitive approach to learning.
- To open their minds and value the thoughts and opinions of others.
- To develop their independence, innovation and individuality.
- By encouraging all children to have high aspirations and enabling them to believe in their abilities and talents.
- Through a personalised Curriculum.
- By means of regular assessment and progress reviews to ensure all children are achieving, as a minimum, their expected targets.
We will support every child to FLOURISH:
- By ensuring that all children are both supported and challenged in their learning, with work being provided that enables them to make good, secure progress.
- By creating an environment where the skills of every child are allowed to flourish and successes in all areas are celebrated.
- By ensuring each child, comes home from school happy.
Life at Moorland International Boarding School